Open the terminal using “Show Applications” or use the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T]. Type the command “lsb_release -a” into the command line and press enter. The terminal shows the Ubuntu version you’re running under “Description” and “Release”.
How do I know if my Ubuntu is Xenial or bionic?
Check Ubuntu version in Linux
- Open the terminal application (bash shell) by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T.
- For remote server login using the ssh: ssh [email protected]
- Type any one of the following command to find os name and version in Ubuntu: cat /etc/os-release. …
- Type the following command to find Ubuntu Linux kernel version:
What is Ubuntu command line?
The Linux command line is one of the most powerful tools available for computer system administration and maintenance. The command line is also known as the terminal, shell, console, command prompt, and command-line interface (CLI). Here are various ways to access it in Ubuntu.
How do I know if I have Ubuntu server or desktop?
Method 1: Check Ubuntu Version from SSH or Terminal
From the Terminal on the machine, or remotely connected over SSH, you can run the lsb_release command to check which version of Ubuntu is running. Using the -a switch will tell it to output all the version information for you.
Which version of Ubuntu is best?
10 Best Ubuntu-based Linux Distributions
- Zorin OS. …
- POP! OS. …
- LXLE. …
- Kubuntu. …
- Lubuntu. …
- Xubuntu. …
- Ubuntu Budgie. …
- KDE Neon. We earlier featured KDE Neon on an article about the best Linux distros for KDE Plasma 5.
Which Ubuntu is fastest?
The fastest Ubuntu edition is always the server version, but if you want a GUI take a look at Lubuntu. Lubuntu is a light weight version of Ubuntu. It’s made to be a faster than Ubuntu. You can download it here.
Which Flavour of Ubuntu is best?
Reviewing the Best Ubuntu Flavors, You Should Try
- Ubuntu 17.10 running Budgie Desktop.
- Ubuntu Mate.
- ubuntu studio.
- xubuntu xfce.
- Ubuntu Gnome.
- lscpu command.
What are the basic commands in Ubuntu?
50+ Basic Ubuntu Commands Every Beginners Should Know
- apt-get update. This command will update your package lists. …
- apt-get upgrade. …
- apt-get dist-upgrade. …
- apt-get install
- apt-get -f install. …
- apt-get remove
- apt-get purge
- apt-get autoclean.
How do I enter commands in Ubuntu?
Run a Command to Open a Terminal
You can also press Alt+F2 to open the Run a Command dialog. Type gnome-terminal here and press Enter to launch a terminal window. You can run many other commands from the Alt+F2 window, too.
Can Ubuntu be used as a server?
Accordingly, Ubuntu Server can run as an email server, file server, web server, and samba server. Specific packages include Bind9 and Apache2. Whereas Ubuntu desktop applications are focused for use on the host machine, Ubuntu Server packages concentrate on allowing connectivity with clients as well as security.
What is Ubuntu used for?
Ubuntu (pronounced oo-BOON-too) is an open source Debian-based Linux distribution. Sponsored by Canonical Ltd., Ubuntu is considered a good distribution for beginners. The operating system was intended primarily for personal computers (PCs) but it can also be used on servers.
What are the system requirements for Ubuntu?
Ubuntu Desktop Edition
- 2 GHz dual core processor.
- 4 GiB RAM (system memory)
- 25 GB (8.6 GB for minimal) of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
- VGA capable of 1024×768 screen resolution.
- Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media.