Hit the start menu or press the Windows key and start typing Notepad. Right-click Notepad and choose Run as administrator. Now you’ll be able to edit and save changes to your HOSTS file.
How do I run a host file as administrator?
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Notepad, and then click Run as administrator. …
- Open the Hosts file or the Lmhosts file, make the necessary changes, and then click Save on the File menu.
How do I open host file as administrator in Windows 10?
Windows 10 and Windows 8
- Press the Windows key.
- Type Notepad in the search field.
- In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
- From Notepad, open the following file: c:WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts.
- Make the necessary changes to the file.
- Select File > Save to save your changes.
What is the shortcut to open a Host file?
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:WindowsSystem32driversetc. Highlight then right-click on the “hosts” file and select Create Shortcut. This will paste a shortcut to the Desktop. Right-click on the new Desktop shortcut of the hosts file and select Properties.
How do I open a file without administrator permission?
To force the regedit.exe to run without the administrator privileges and to suppress the UAC prompt, simple drag the EXE file you want to start to this BAT file on the desktop. Then the Registry Editor should start without a UAC prompt and without entering an administrator password.
How do I give a file administrator privileges?
Granting Access to a File or Folder
- Access the Properties dialog box.
- Select the Security tab.
- Click Edit. …
- Click Add… …
- In the Enter the object names to select text box, type the name of the user or group that will have access to the folder (e.g., 2125. …
- Click OK. …
- Click OK on the Security window.
How do I save a host file without admin rights?
You need to follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key to open up the start menu.
- Type “Notepad” into the search box. …
- Right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- When it opens, select File and then Open.
- Go to this location C:WindowsSystem32driversetc. …
- Enter your changes and confirm by saving.
How does host file work?
A Hosts file is a file that almost all computers and operating systems can use to map a connection between an IP address and domain names. This file is an ASCII text file. It contains IP addresses separated by a space and then a domain name. … The Hosts file will ignore it and move to try find the site via DNS.
How do I access my host file?
To find the Windows hosts file location: Browse to Start > Find > Files and Folders. Select the hosts file in your Windows directory (or WINNTsystem32driversetc). Verify that the file is not read-only by right-clicking it and choosing Properties. Open the file for editing with Notepad.
How do I add to my host file?
How to add a static entry in the hosts file?
- Open your text editor in Administrator mode.
- In the text editor, open C:WindowsSystem32driversetchosts.
- Add the IP Address and hostname. Example: 22.214.171.124 opm.server.com.
- Save the changes.
What is host file in Windows?
The hosts file is a computer file used in an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. The hosts file is a plain-text file and is traditionally named hosts. … Windows operating systems contain a file called ‘hosts’ that will force resolution of your domain name.
Where is the host file on Mac?
The Hosts file on a Mac is found in the /etc/hosts folder.
How can I create host file in Windows 7?
Create a new Windows host file
Right-click the hosts file, and select Rename. In the etc folder, right-click on the blank space and select New > Text Document. Click Yes to confirm. Right-click the hosts file and then click Open With or Open.