The preferred method to check your Ubuntu version is to use the lsb_release utility, which displays LSB (Linux Standard Base) information about the Linux distribution. This method will work no matter which desktop environment or Ubuntu version you are running.
How do I know which Ubuntu version I have?
Checking the Ubuntu version in the terminal
- Open the terminal using “Show Applications” or use the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T].
- Type the command “lsb_release -a” into the command line and press enter.
- The terminal shows the Ubuntu version you’re running under “Description” and “Release”.
Does Ubuntu Server have a desktop?
The version without the desktop environment is called “Ubuntu Server.” The server version does not come with any graphical software or productivity software. There are three different desktop environments available for the Ubuntu operating system. The default is the Gnome desktop.
How do I know if I have GUI Ubuntu?
Check If GUI Is Installed In Linux From Commandline
- If your system has MATE installed, it will print /usr/bin/mate-session .
- For LXDE, it will return /usr/bin/lxsession .
Is there a server version of Ubuntu?
Ubuntu Server is a server operating system, developed by Canonical and open source programmers around the world, that works with nearly any hardware or virtualization platform. It can serve up websites, file shares, and containers, as well as expand your company offerings with an incredible cloud presence.
How can I tell if Ubuntu is installed on Windows?
Open your file browser and click “File System”. Do you see a host folder which—on opening—contains folders like Windows , Users , and Program Files ? If so, Ubuntu is installed within Windows.
Is Ubuntu Server faster than desktop?
Ubuntu Server vs Desktop Performance
Because Ubuntu Server doesn’t have a GUI by default, it has potentially better system performance. … Installing Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop with the default options on two identical machines will invariably result in the Server delivering better performance than the desktop.
How do I change Ubuntu desktop to server?
- Changing the default runlevel. You can set it at the beginnign of /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf replace 2 by 3 and reboot. …
- Do not launch the graphical interface service on boot update-rc.d -f xdm remove. Quick and easy. …
- Remove packages apt-get remove –purge x11-common && apt-get autoremove.
How do I SSH into Ubuntu desktop?
Enabling SSH on Ubuntu
- Open your terminal either by using the Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the terminal icon and install the openssh-server package by typing: sudo apt update sudo apt install openssh-server. …
- Once the installation is completed, the SSH service will start automatically.
How do I start GUI mode in Ubuntu?
sudo systemctl enable lightdm (if you enable it, you’ll still have to boot in “graphical. target” mode to have GUI) sudo systemctl set-default graphical. target Then sudo reboot to restart your machine, and you should be back to your GUI.